Plattsburgh Farmers’ and Crafters’ Market By-Laws
Article I –Name
The name of this organization shall be the Plattsburgh Farmers’ and Crafters’ Market.
Article II- Mission Statement
The Plattsburgh Farmers’ and Crafters’ Market was established to provide an environment for direct marketing of farm products and handcrafted goods between producers and consumers. The market will provide consumers high quality products at reasonable prices in an atmosphere conductive to exchange of information and ideas between producers and customers. The market will help to promote local farming and small-business crafter’s economy. We hope to develop a lively and vibrant arena that will attract customers into the downtown area and promote business not only for our vendors but also for the established businesses in the area.
Any person and his/her spouse, if applicable engaged in growing and production of agricultural products who agrees to abide by the Rules and Regulations of the Association, may become a member upon the approval of the Board of Directors. Membership is also open to persons that make their own homemade products and crafts and to persons involved in the processing of a product that agree to abide by the Rules and Regulations of the Association’s Board of Directors. Special membership privileges may be granted to persons or organizations that want to support our organization but may not want to be vendors. Special membership shall have no voting privileges. The Board of Directors will consider each membership individually.
Members will be required to help with the up keep of the market building and facilities and to work with one or more of the committees. These committees may include, but are not limited to advertising and publicity, special events, entertainment, and community relations.
Article IV-Officers and Board of Directors
- At a general meeting to be held no later than December 15th, elections will be held to elect members of the Board of Directors.
- Only one person per membership may serve on the Board of Directors at the same time. Only one vote is permitted per board member even though a Board member may hold more than one office at any time.
- The Board will consist of seven (7) members. The following officers are to be elected annually by the Board: President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
- The duties of the Board of Directors shall be to transact all business of the Association, including but not limited to:
- Hiring a market manager
- Financial, paying all expenses of the PFCM, seeking and applying for funding from outside sources, maintains proper financial records, establish membership and market stall fees, developing an annual budget for approval by general membership.
- Maintain all records of the Association including membership roles, NYS sales tax records, FMNP papers and any other records deemed necessary by the Board of Directors.
- Make recommendations for amendments to the Rules and Regulations, as needed for approval of the general membership.
- Hear and rule on grievances.
- The President shall call and preside over meetings, appoint committees and perform duties in the interest of the association.
- The Vice President shall perform duties of the President in his/her absence.
- The Secretary shall keep a record of the proceedings of all meetings, a record of attendance at all meetings, and send a written notice to all the members at least one week prior to each meeting, attend to all correspondence of the Market and perform any duties for the market assigned by the Board of Directors, and keep membership records.
- The Treasurer shall collect and hold all Market money in bank accounts and pay bills consistent with the approved budget. The Market’s checking account will require the signature of two members of the Board of Directors, the treasurer and one other member. The treasurer shall present the books and records annually to the auditing committee consisting of a minimum of two members appointed by the president. The Treasurer shall keep complete financial records and present a report at each meeting of the Market. He/She shall present a detailed year-end report to the Board of Directors and is responsible for preparing a preliminary budget for the upcoming year.
- Association meetings will be held once each fall to wrap up the market season and elect officers for the following year. They will meet once in the spring to present a budget and market dates and times for general membership approval. The dates of these meetings to be designated by the Board of Directors. Special meetings may be called at such times as the Board feels necessary.
- The Board of Directors shall meet as necessary to transact the business of the Market, which cannot be accomplished at the regular Market meetings.
- Members in good standing shall have the privilege of voting at all Market meetings. Members are allowed one vote per membership.
- The President shall appoint a nominating committee. The duties of the nominating committee will be to prepare a slate of officers for the annual elections.
- The fiscal year shall be January 1 through December 31.
- Proceeds derived from the annual membership fees and stall rental fees shall be used to pay expenses of the Market, including, but not limited to, market liability insurance, advertising and promotion, special events, and market manager’s salary.
The By-Laws may be amended at any meeting of the market by a two-thirds vote of the members present, provided due notice of such proposed amendments be mailed by the Secretary to the entire membership not less than fifteen (15) days prior to said meeting.
Should the Market dissolve or become inoperative, any remaining money shall be disposed of according to the recommendation of the Board of Directors with the approval of the membership and consistent with applicable laws.
Our Market Dates & Times
Every Saturday from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
May 13th to October 12th, 2018